What is an "Accessory Dwelling Unit?"
Q: Is a "Granny Flat" an Accessory Dwelling Unit?
Q: Is an over-the-garage apartment an Accessory Dwelling Unit?
Q: Is a back yard cottage or "back house" an Accessory Dwelling Unit?
Q: Is a basement or second floor apartment an Accessory Dwelling Unit?
"Green ADUs" benefit our families, neighborhoods, & city.
• New opportunities for Seniors and Baby Boomers to "Age in Place" near friends and family.
• New housing opportunities for the children and grandchildren of current neighbors.
• Increase your "Walkable Neighborhood Factor" and patronage for valued neighborhood businesses.
• New opportunities to live the "Small is Beautiful" way of Sustainable Futures.
• Increase housing opportunities in established neighborhoods while preserving neighborhood character.
• New opportunities to live the solar/alternative energy way of Sustainable Futures.
• New opportunities for wheelchair/ADA accessible and visitable homes in established neighborhoods.
See specific language about ADUs in the City of Madison's new "Green" Zoning Code.